View of SLAC campus looking east
SLAC History

The idea for a two-mile linear accelerator at Stanford University was conceived in 1956, proposed in 1957, and authorized by Congress in 1961. Initially called "Project M," the venture was renamed "The Stanford Linear Accelerator Center" (SLAC) in August of 1960, and again renamed " SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory" in October 2008.